Can't Get That Stain Out? Try This Product

My go-to stain remover is Shout. That stuff works on 95% of stains so long as you treat them fast enough. So why did I stray from my tried and true product? Because I had a baby. Who drinks breastmilk. Who takes gross poops that sometimeeeesss leak out of her diaper and onto her clothes. Yuck! And Shout just was not doing it.

You have to order a bar of this soap from Amazon and use it on your set it stains. What is it?

Fels-Naptha. Weird name, I know.  I just used it on a t-shirt of mine that I spilled on, treated with Shout, and washed. The stain didn't come out. I put a little of this on, re-washed, and the stain is gone!

My mom used to have a bar of this just randomly sitting on the dryer when we were kids and I always wondered what it was. Now, it's up there with Shout as my favorite stain remover and the ONLY thing I use on breastmilk poop stains, because it's the only thing that gets them out without whipping up some sort of random concoction of household items to use on nasty stains.

I order mine in a two pack from Amazon, but it's also sold at Walmart. And yes, the wrapper looks like this. A little old school, but I like it. And really, who cares when it makes nasty stains disappear.

I will say, however, try Fels-Naptha before you've washed a stained item. Sometimes when fabric goes through the dryer, it sets in the stain. So, if you know something nasty got on your favorite white jeans or your new shirt, try this FIRST. I can't promise it will get that set-in stain out. It has for me, but no guarantees. Keep this next to your go-to stain remover and use it it combination with your tried and true product, or just in place of.

It also comes in a bar, so my suggestion for using it is simple: get it wet and lathered up, wet whatever clothing or item you want to clean, and scrub the bar over the stain fairly aggressively. It won't get sudsy, but it'll rub off. You'll notice your bar get smaller over time. Or, another thing you can do is keep an old toothbrush in your laundry room and after the bar of soap and toothbrush are wet, rub the bristles on the bar to get some soap on them and then scrub your stain. I've done both methods and both work. Try it out!

Happy washing!

UPDATE: When I wrote this post, I hadn't used Fels-Naptha in a few weeks. My little gal was moving beyond the blow-out poops but hadn't started making massive food messes when eating. I also had just started blogging so didn't have photos to go with some of my content. But, I do now!!

Here's proof of how awesome this stain remover is. I used it on my diaper bag, which I love. It's stylish and cute, but it's also light grey. Should've thought about that not being the greatest color when it comes to dealing with kids and taking this thing literally everywhere I go. Oh well, live and learn. But, after returning from a trip to Colorado where the diaper bag was set on the ground in a parking lot with road salt and disgusting black slush that just takes over the streets of Chicago after we've gotten snow, this diaper bag HAD to be washed. I used Shout first. It cleaned it up fairly well all things considered, but I wasn't quite satisfied. In comes my trusty Fels-Naptha. I threw the diaper bag in my utility sink in the basement, pulled out my bar of soap and my old toothbrush I always keep on hand near the laundry to scrub stains, and went to work. I am actually shocked at how clean this thing came. It has been on way too many bathroom floors, restaurant floors, wet car mats, and so many other dirty places in the 10 months I've been using it. It honestly looks new. Yay! So, now I've got some proof of how awesome this stuff is to back up my post. If you've got kids or pets, buy yourself some of this. Fast. Hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

This was the bottom of my diaper bag after it had gone through the wash with Shout. Much better than it was, but not great.
Bottom of the bag after scrubbing with Fels-Naptha on my toothbrush (just rubbed the bristles on the bar of soap).

Dried diaper bag after Fels-Naptha and going through the wash once more. So clean!! 



Comments

Popular Posts