My One Pot, Easy Prep Chili Recipe

Fall is here (except Chicago decided to have a few more 80 degree days), football is back on, and that means my hubby wants some traditional fall meals. Yesterday when we got up, I asked what he wanted for dinner to which he replied he was in the mood for a stew or soup or something like that. I'm personally not a huge stew or soup fan, but put a bowl of chili in front of me, and I'll eat it year round. This chili recipe is so simple yet so delish that it'll be one of your fall and winter go-to meals. It's the best because it takes about 20 minutes to prep, it's cheap, and it feeds a ton of people. The recipe below is half of what I usually make and my husband and I have leftovers for another night or two. If you double this, you can easily feed 5-10 hungry football fans. Hope you enjoy!

One Pot Easy Chili
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: Simmer on low for 3+ hours
Feeds: 4-5

1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes (strained)
1-2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce (depending on your desired consistency)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 14.5 oz cans chili beans
1.5 packets mild chili seasoning
1.5 lbs ground beef, browned and drained (or ground turkey!)
1 medium yellow onion, diced

1. Brown ground beef and drain off all grease.
2. Open all cans and begin dumping. The only can I strain is the diced tomatoes to remove the excess liquid, but everything else is just open and dump!
3. Add chili seasoning.
4. Dice onion and add.
5. Add drained ground beef.
6. Stir, simmer, and enjoy the smells! (Simmer on low for 3+ hours to really blend the flavors or dump this all in your crockpot and cook on low for as long as you can/need. If you go the crockpot route, brown your ground beef first & add to your crockpot. Then, dump all other ingredients as explained above. )

Serve with your favorite chili toppings & additions....
Macaroni noodles, crackers, Fritos, shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh bread, diced onions, chopped scallions, whatever you enjoy!

I personally cannot have dairy right now due to an issue my daughter, who is breastfeeding, has digesting milk proteins. So, sad face, I couldn't add cheese or sour cream to my chili and my husband gobbled his up before I could snap a pic. But, imagine a hot, steaming bowl of chili topped with a handful of Fritos, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese, and a few onions across the top. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. :)

Here are a few tips/options for you ask you cook:
Want a thicker, chunkier chili? You can add more beans (I've added kidney and black beans). You can also add whole chunks of fresh tomato or cut up your onions a bit larger. You can also add more ground beef.

Chili, on the whole, is fairly healthy. It's beans and tomatoes. The toppings are what get you. But, if you want to light up your chili even more, use ground turkey instead of ground beef.

For a little spicier chili, you can buy a spicy chili seasoning packet (I use mild). You can also do a light dusting of cayenne pepper over the top and stir. You can also dice up a jalapeƱo


Comments

Popular Posts