I Want to Cook...But, Where Do I Begin: Part 2 -- The Food

You can't cook without food. And, in order to have some variety in your life, you need a variety of staples around your kitchen. But, don't worry, you don't need as much as you think. Here are the staples I keep in my kitchen so I can always cook my go-to favorites and also switch it up now and again!

Produce:
- Lettuce (iceburg, romaine, and/or spring mix)
- Peppers (green, red, orange, and/or yellow)
- Red Onions
- Yellow Onions
- Carrots
- Cucumber
- Potatoes
- Garlic
- Bananas
- Apples
- Berries (raspberries, blueberries, and/or strawberries)
  • Having all of these allows me to whip up a quick garden salad, roasted or baked potatoes, and ensures that I always have healthy veggies such as carrots or peppers to dip in hummus or ranch. 
  • All of these fruits make great, quick snacks and are perfect for topping yogurt in the morning with some delicious granola.
Meat/Proteins:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
- Ground turkey
- Ground beef
- Bacon 
- Some sort of been (steaks, ground beef, stew meat)
- Italian sausage
- Eggs
  • These are pretty basic, simple cuts of meat and allow me to make a variety of different types of meals. 
Boxed/Bagged/Canned Items:
- Pasta
- Pasta sauce
- Baked Beans
- Rice
- Rice-a-roni
- Egg noodles
- A variety of Asian sauces (teriyaki, stir fry, kung pao, etc.)
  • Can we say starches? :) These are quick and easy. Not all are super healthy, but I grew up in the midwest as a meat and potatoes kind of girl. Every meal needs to have a meat, a starch, and a veggie/salad. 

Frozen Foods (beside my frozen meats):
- Veggies (corn, broccoli, green beans, stir fry mixed veggies)
- Bread (I always keep some sort of bread or bun on hand so that I can quickly defrost to make homemade garlic bread or have buns handy for hotdogs, burgers, or brats)

Spice/Oils/Vinegars/Misc.:
- Garlic powder
- Garlic salt
- Season salt
- Onion powder
- Cumin
- Ground chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt
- Pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Dried basil
- Oregano
- Dried parsley
- Garlic salt
- Sage
- Celery salt
- Spice blends (to season meats or dips)
- Vegetable oil (for pan frying or baking)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO, as I like to call it) [for cooking/marinating]
- Balsamic vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Ketchup
- Mustards (yellow, dijon, brown - for eating & marinating)
- Milk
  • There are many more I have, but these are my most basic and most used. 

Comments

Popular Posts