I Want to Cook....But, Where Do I Begin: Part 1 -- Supplies

These are the following kitchen tools and supplies that I cannot live without. You don't have to have an amazingly well stocked kitchen in order to cook some of the basics. Start with these supplies and you'll be good to go!

  • Baking Sheets (various sizes)
  • Glass Baking Pans/Dishes. I love Pyrex -- extremely durable. I always have a 9x13 and 8x8 on hand. Varying sizes are important for a few reasons. If you're cooking for just yourself or your and your spouse, you'd really only need something like an 8x8 or 6x10 to make a dish. A larger group will require a larger pan. See some of my favorites here: Pyrex Baking Dishes


Back left to right: Pyrex loaf pan, Corningware Etch small baking dish with lid, Pyrex 9x13 pan
Front left to right: Pyrex 8x8 baking dish, Pyrex 6x10 baking dish


  • Corningware Baking Dishes (Love these because they have lids and can be used in the microwave or oven!) I have the Corningware Etch series. Check it out: Corningware Etch Baking Dish
  • Olive Oil Dispenser (EVOO Dispenser)
  • Knife Block Set (you definitely need a butcher's knife, a 9" slicer, bread knife, paring knife, santoku knife, and a serrated knife. I use Emeril's set, similar to this: Emeril Knife Block Set)

Left to right: Kitchen scissors, utility/serrated knife, santoku knife, chef/butcher's knife, paring knife, bread knife

Cook's tip! EVOO dispenser & salt and pepper: I always keep these by my stove for quick access during cooking!


  • Cutting Boards (wood & plastic). Use your wood cutting board for fruits, veggies, or other ready-made food. Use your plastic cutting boards for meats and raw foods. 
  • Rubber scrapers in varying sizes (I personally love Pampered Chef's -- they're the best!)
  • All of your basic serving & cooking tools -- spatula, ladle, large spoon, large slotted spoon, metal tongs, salad serving tongs, & noodle scooper. I personally use mostly plastic because I have non-stick pots and pans and you do not want to use metal utensils on non-stick pans. You will scratch up and ruin your non-stick pots and pans with metal utensils in no time. 



     

  • Wooden Cooking Utensils (this is a good basic set to have: Wooden Cooking Utensils). I love having and using these on my non-stick pots and pans. 
  • A good set of pots and pans. Some people prefer stainless steel. This typically offers a more even cook, but a good set is very expensive. I think a good compromise is non-stick. They are easy to cook with (hence, the non-stick) and they're not as expensive as stainless steel. When my husband and I got married, we registered for and received Calphalon's non-stick set and added a few more pieces. But, a few good frying pans (in varying sizes), a few different size sauce pans, and a large boiling pot is a good start when talking pots and pans. Here's what we've had for 4 years now and they're holding up great. Bonus -- they're oven safe up to 400 degrees! (Simply Calphalon Pot & Pan Set)
  • Crock Pot



This is a good start. If you've got these, you've got the basics and you can really cook almost anything you want! 

Comments

Popular Posts