Need a Warm Up on a Cold Day? Try Russian Tea.

It's winter in Chicago. In fact, it feels like we skipped fall. Whyyyyy has there already been 5 inches of snow on the ground before December?

Chicago cold means to the bone cold. Damp cold. It means you feel like you need a hot, steaming drink in your cutest mug next to you at all times during the day to not only warm your body but warm your soul when it feels like it's dying the slow death that Chicago winters inevitably cause. That's dramatic, but sometimes it feels that way!

If you're looking for something new to keep in the house to keep that mug full and your body warm, look no further. You've got to try Russian Tea.

I got this recipe from my friend, Lindsey, while we were visiting them in Colorado recently. It was definitely cold in Breckenridge and she shared this family favorite recipe with me that I'll be drinking alllll winter long.

This tea is the perfect winter drink. It's got a mild tea flavor with a touch of sweetness, a bit of a tart finish, and subtle hints of my favorite warm winter spices. It is soooo good and so very simple to make. You can make it in a fairly large batch to have around the house and warm up a cup at any time. Here's the recipe:

Russian Tea
2 cups Tang
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered lemonade (like Country Time)
3/4 cup instant tea
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix all together and store in an air tight jar or container.


A few tips:
- Tang isn't at all stores. I had luck finding it at Jewel and Walmart, but not Target.
- A single batch makes quite a bit, so if you double it, you'll need a large container
- You can buy instant tea either caffeinated or decaffeinated. I did half and half. I'm still breastfeeding so I watch my caffeine intake (and I always have a cup of coffee in the morning), so I mixed the caff and decaff tea.
- For every 8-10 oz. of hot



water, I use about 2-3 spoonfuls of the powdered mix. This can be done to your liking, which is the greatest part of all this!

Thanks, Linds, for sharing this! This is my new obsession!



Comments

Popular Posts